List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Debian Weekly News - February 1st, 2000 (fwd)
From:       Ian Zepp <icszepp () islc ! net>
Date:       2000-02-02 20:10:06

This was brought up on the debian mailing list:

Believe it or not, another KDE licensing discussion has erupted on
debian-devel. It started with a simple question: Why is KDE not in
Debian? Haven't the license issues been dealt with by the new Open
Source Qt, and other changes? Well according to Joseph Carter, there
are [18]still problems. KDE is mostly licensed under the GPL, which is
still not compatible with the QPL, unless the author gives explicit
permission for his GPL'd code to be linked with Qt. For large parts of
KDE, of course, that should be no problem -- people affiliated with
the KDE project wrote it and should be able to give this permission.
But, there are still parts of KDE [19]such as kghostview which are
copyright by others. In any case, such permission has never been
given, and so Debian continues to be unable to distribute KDE. Raul
Miller [20]summed it up: "If the KDE folks would make a reasonably
solid statement of permission, we could probably distribute most of
KDE. In the mean time, we wait."