List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Big, bad, fonts... (fwd)
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2000-02-01 19:10:49

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Graham TerMarsch wrote:

> First time I saw this problem, I went into kcontrol and updated the
> "locale" that I was in.  Seems that the default locale for my new user
> got set to something other than US, and it was trying to use Unicode for

The default country is the country first on the list :-)

> all of the fonts.  After changing it to US and restarting KDE it seemed

The reason why this doesn't work is KDE defaults to unicode. AFAIK the
xset settings adds some unicode fonts to the fontpath. If you don't have
any other unicode fonts on your machine, those fixed fonts will be
used. The fix would be to select a different charset or install some
unicode fonts. Maybe we could provide some non-fixed unicode fonts as
well?

-bieker-

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
                 bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org