List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The road towards KDE 2.0: KDE 1.90 (aka API)
From:       Greg Lee <lee () hawaii ! edu>
Date:       2000-01-28 12:20:14

On -1 xxx -1, Antonio Larrosa wrote:

> Well, I think that adding a SoftSynthOut class which (in any way)
> encapsulates the timidity synthesizer would be very nice. Currently, it

That would be great, but I can't think how to go about actually
doing it.  For one thing, my c++ is very limited.  For another,
how can you get information about the music being played to the
user interface?  Kmidi's playing process deposits time-stamped information
about musical events into shared memory where the ui can read them
and mark them as read, as well as sending messages along a pipe.  How
to encapsulate that?

> has GUSOut, which, when used with the SoftOSS driver, allows for
> software MIDI synthesis, but I guess KMidi/timidity has better

I've tried out my free version of SoftOSS with kmid several times.
It really sounds awful.  Perhaps I misinstalled it somehow.  It
doesn't terminate notes on time, or perhaps at all.

> quality (I haven't really tested, but I suppose it). Have you
> considered to add a class like that ? We could do any change in the
> rest of libKMid in order to get that mechanism working.

I'll try to think of something constructive, but right now I'm at
a loss.  Another problem is a difference in synth models.  Kmid
knows about the GUS, but kmidi emulates an AWE32/64, more or less.

Greg Lee <lee@Hawaii.edu>