List:       kde-devel
Subject:    What's This - button on dialogs?
From:       Matthias Kiefer <matthias.kiefer () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-01-25 20:34:42

Hi,

I just have a question: Is it planned to add a standard method for developers
to get a What's This-button displayed on dialogs?

I think this would be an important feature, because especially dialogs (e.g.
preferences dialogs) should include detailed context help and offer the user a
convenient and easy way to access this help. But there don't seems to be any
standard place to put them, as it is in KTMainWindow, where it is placed in the
toolbar and in the help menu.

If there is not already done something like that, I would suggest putting a
What's This-button next to the help button, but with just the width, which is
needed to display the context help icon. So it would not need too much space.

Some time ago I made some enhancements to the KDialogBase for my application
KBabel, so if you don't know what I mean, you may want to take a look there
(it's in the kdesdk module).
Since this was just thought as temporary solution, it's not very well done and
would need some improvements, but it shows what I mean.

kind regards,
  Matthias
 --
Matthias Kiefer