List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebase: L.h, Q.h, etc. defining macros like A, I, etc.
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-23 12:14:27

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 12:05:56AM -0500, Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Lars Doelle wrote:
>
> > Stuff like the one indicate in the subject showed
> > up in kdebase lately and is installed in $KDEDIR/include.
> >
> > The author is Phil Maker, but no email address is given,
> > so i have to direct the mail to kde-devel.
> >
> > With all due respect i find names like the above polute
> > the public name space and should be reserved for private
> > use only. Phil, please change the file and macro names to
> > something appropriate, e.g. kinvariants.h instead of I.h.
>
> Well, these are parts of Nana! Is this used or not? Sorry, it wasn't clear
> what the conclusion was from the discussion of Mirko with David.

Well, we decided kdebug and nana where different things and that
both should remain.

But note that kdebug is used in 80% of KDE apps whereas nana
is used in one app AFAIK.

I've used nana in a program of mine, and wasn't happy about the
fact that the default handler simply discarded the last argument
(which is used for whatever the handler decides to do with it) -
I would have thought that for asserts, you could pass an explanation
of why the assert failed. You can, but only if you write another
handler, so it's not really straightforward to use.
Then somebody added conditionnals in kDebug (first arg, a bool),
making nana even more useless for me.

> And do these get installed on an end-user's system?
Yes, they are needed for compiling any KDE app.
They're not needed to run KDE, but then kapp.h isn't either.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org