List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Writing from 2.0 -> 1.1.2
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-01-11 23:38:53

It's really not going to be all that easy to actively maintain two
versions. While the new Qt/KDE API is easy to learn, there are a lot of
minor things like you can't cast (const char *) from QString, stuff has
been moved out of KApplication and into places like KGlobal, some things
are in new namespaces like KPixmap stuff, new HTML widget, etc... All
things that needed to happen, but makes maintaining two code bases a
pain. I would suggest just coding for KDE2. Users will upgrade as soon
as there is a relatively stable version, they are already trying the
alphas ;-) All KDE developers I know are on KDE2, so we can test and by
the time KDE2 is stable and ready to release you will be as well :)

Another option you have is doing both a KDE2 and Qt2.x only version if
that is possible with your app. While KDE2 is still in the devel stage
most new dists come with Qt2 or it's not unreasonable to ask users to
install it. If I had to choose between maintaining a Qt2 only or KDE1.x
app along with a KDE2 version I would choose Qt2.

mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com