List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: aKtion! [was: Re: empath]
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-01-06 23:53:20

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

>    Hi!

Hello,

> KMidi seems to be a really great way of creating nice output for midi
> data, even if you have a $20 soundcard. What I could imagine is that
> people who are playing a game for instance, may want to listen to the
> kmidi rendered output, even while they get the soundeffects from the
> game.
>
> Or for instance musicians (like me) who are desperately looking forward
> to the ability to use kmidi as "output port" in Brahms (which is a sequencing
> software) just besides synthesized instruments from aRts, besides really midi
> instruments (from external midi).
>
> It would be soo great!!

I wanted to give a "surprise commit", but as you're talking about it, I'll
say it here : KMid has now support for SoftOSS, so it also synthesizes
midi output in realtime.

I have it working at home, but would like to do some final touches before
commiting it. After this, I'll try to do the library I should have done
at least a month ago (if my exams leave me some time), so I'll try to
release a libkmid sometime in the next week (if I cannot do it next week
it will have to 1) wait until the end of February, when I finish my exams,
or 2) wait until some kind soul extracts the library from the code in the
kmid/player directory :) )

> So I certainly don't want to obsolete anything - just to use the code that
> is already there in other application contexts. This is why I am working
> on this multimedia stuff.
>
> So now to the technical issues:

I won't comment about kmidi as I don't know much about it.
But I can talk about SoftOSS, the driver automatically mixes it with the
normal dsp output, and it has the same (OSS) interface than a GUS has
(to be able to load patches, etc.). The KMid interface is the usual midiOut
derived class (i.e. it loads the GUS patches automatically when calling
...Out::chnPatchChange), so Brahms will get synthesized output very soon :)

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
Student of Mathematics