List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: In what format are KDE-binaries?
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-28 19:07:40

Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, claus wilke wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > sorry that I am asking so many questions, but there is just so much to know. ;-)
> >
> > In what format are KDE-binaries on a Linux - glibc2.1 system? Whenever I try to
> > run gdb, ldd, or any of the binutils programs on a binary I have built with a
> > KDE makefile, I get something like 'not in executable format: file format not
> > recognized', or 'not a dynamic executable', no matter whether I configure with
> > or without --enable-debug.
>
> 1) wondering experience:
>
> vi ./kmail
>
> Wooow :-)
>
> 2) actually debugging:
>
> gdb ./.libs/kmail
>
> > Other binaries, even ones linked with Qt, work without any problem.
> > What is going on here?
> >

> I must acknowledge that I don't know the exact reason why this kind of
> compiling is used allover in KDE. Could have something with the mechanism
> that could allow building of kde binaries in directories different than
> the source directories.

It works this way because you need to relink to get uninstalled binaries
work. kdelibs/kdecore/kurltest actually links to ../.libs/libkdecore.so
while an installed version would link to $KDEDIR/lib/...

because it's easier and more consistent libtool does it no matter there
are uninstalled libraries or not. You can disable this behaviour with
--enable-fast-install from what I remember

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.