On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, claus wilke wrote: > Hi, > > sorry that I am asking so many questions, but there is just so much > to know. ;-) > > In what format are KDE-binaries on a Linux - glibc2.1 system? > Whenever I try to run gdb, ldd, or any of the binutils programs on a > binary I have built with a KDE makefile, I get something like 'not in > executable format: file format not recognized', or 'not a dynamic > executable', no matter whether I configure with or without > --enable-debug. > > Other binaries, even ones linked with Qt, work without any problem. > What is going on here? KDE builds a libtool shell script which starts the actual binary. When you do a make install a real binary is installed. If you need to run gdb/ldd/etc. you need to have a look in the local .libs directory. There you can find a 'binary' and a 'lt-binary' version of our program. I have no idea what the difference between the two is. Cheers, Waldo