claus wilke wrote: > In what format are KDE-binaries on a Linux - glibc2.1 system? > Whenever I try to run gdb, ldd, or any of the binutils programs on a > binary I have built with a KDE makefile, I get something like 'not > in executable format: file format not recognized', or 'not a dynamic > executable', no matter whether I configure with or without > --enable-debug. Try this: file Then open up the file with your favorite editor and check it out :-) The "binaries" made when you do a compile aren't binaries -- they are libtool shell scripts that wrap up a bunch of stuff. The actual binaries (the files that get installed) are in the .libs subdirectory. -- Kurt Granroth | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth KDE Developer/Evangelist | SuSE Labs Open Source Developer granroth@kde.org | granroth@suse.com KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix