List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Adding laptop support to KDE2 ....
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-22 20:18:23

Robert Williams wrote:
> Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > In this particular case, I'd favor kdeadmin or kdeutils (probably
> > kdeadmin)
>
> To laptop users this is very core functionality.  There are several control
> modules that are included into kdebase that would follow your statement (email
> control? ODBC? among others... ).   Power and battery management are more
> important to laptop users than a sound control, don't you think?

The criteria for what is in kdebase (or should be) is if other parts
of KDE depend on it.  The email and ODBC and sound modules all modify
global settings for KDE -- NOT for the hardware or system.  A laptop
control module doesn't affect KDE at all -- it manages the laptop
itself.

Mind you, I do think some of the control center modules need to be
moved elsewhere.  The Samba status, for instance, has nothing
inherently to do with KDE at all -- it should go in kdeadmin.
--
Kurt Granroth            | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix