List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Adding laptop support to KDE2 ....
From:       Robert Williams <rwilliams () jrc-utah ! com>
Date:       1999-12-22 20:02:20

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> I second (or third) the motion to put this into the distro...
>
> Robert Williams wrote:
> > taniwha wrote:
> > > - should I integrate the laptop panels into the kde2 distribution
> > >   or keep them a seperate entity? (I'd like to do the integration)
> > >
> > Please add this to the control panel.  A great feature for us with laptops.
> > kdebase sure wants a note book control built in :-)
> [snip]
> > kdebase.
>
> I agree that it should go in the control panel but I disagree with
> putting it into kdebase.  It has nothing to do with the core
> functionality of KDE!
>
> I think, too, as time goes by, we're going to get more and more
> control center apps.  Are we going to put them all in kdebase?
>
> No, I think we should sort the apps on a criteria totally separate
> from whether or not it's a control center app.
>
> In this particular case, I'd favor kdeadmin or kdeutils (probably
> kdeadmin)

To laptop users this is very core functionality.  There are several control
modules that are included into kdebase that would follow your statement (email
control? ODBC? among others... ).   Power and battery management are more
important to laptop users than a sound control, don't you think?

--
Robert D. Williams       rwilliams@jrc-utah.com
Jarob Consulting         rwilliams@kde.org