List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kwin & virtual desktops
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-12-18 15:32:56

> KHotKeys is a separate program, as I understand. If it's true, then:
> 1. alot of ram is used for static data from kde libraries

kde libraries are shared. There's a bit overhead, yes, but not alot.  However,
If the program isn't used it's swapped out anyway. Afterall we are doing UNIX
here, no?

> 2. reaction to user's keypresses is slower, as request goes via: X ->
> KWin -> DCOP -> KHotKeys.

?! KHotKeys uses KGlobalAccel just like Kwin, i.e. it talks directly to the
X-Server. The window manager isn't special, every client can talk to the
X-Server. The concept is called "passive grabs", KGlobalAccel encapsulates this
in a class and provides global configurability via a kcontrol module.

With KGlobalAccel, every client handles exactly *its own* global accelerators,
i.e. KWin is reponsible for desktop changes.

KHotKey's purpose is to launch applications on hot keys. Pretty useful program,
works with or without kde.

However: when it comes to user-time (key events) and speed, a few
contextswitches really don't count unless you plan to type with at least 3000
keys per second.

Matthias