List:       kde-devel
Subject:    dcop/corba gateway (was Re:DCop vs CORBA)
From:       Joao Neto <jpgpn () netc ! pt>
Date:       1997-01-01 13:21:51

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> > Can't dcop completely replace CORBA?
>
> There are a couple of places where CORBA still makes sense.
> CORBA is cross-platform, so if you want to talk to an application running
> on WhateverOSThatWontRunKDE(tm), dcop is not the way to go.

Uhm... yes, good point.
But it just seems a bit illogical having two mechanisms of inter-process
communication in kde. And dcop seems to me easier to learn/use.
What about creating some sort of dcop-CORBA gateway?
This way all kde applications could use dcop and when talking to an application
running on WhateverOSThatWontRunKDE(tm) dcop would be translated to CORBA by
some daemon. This would be especially cool if the whole process was transparent
for both applications - can't figure how, though.
Is it possible?
--

Joao Neto