List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Game Developing under KDE
From:       Joao Neto <jpgpn () netc ! pt>
Date:       1999-12-14 23:15:15

After I read a message in this list about a fast pixmap library I started
wondering...
As the gaming industry is one of the largest industries in the world I just
can't understand why there are no good libraries for developing games under
Linux. Lots, and I mean LOTS of people use their computers only for gaming.
Being myself game addicted and a great Linux/Kde fan I must confess with great
shame that I keep a version of "that other operating system" just for gaming
purposes. And I believe a lot of people do the same...
The best Linux games I saw until now (except for the quake3
demo and other rare exceptions)  where the kde games... and these are (no
offense) boring table games. I know that this is changing and that more and
more computer game houses are releasing their games versions for linux...

As kde intends to create a better linux environment for both users and
developers I think that creating a standard library for developing games would
help Linux a lot attracting more people and developers.
Just look at what directx(tm) made for W%$#)$/ games.

The Linux so is "lighter" than other operating systems and has the best TCP/IP
support  needed for online gaming.
In fact, I think that Linux has a great potential for becoming a great game
platform.

I know this isn't easy...in fact, that kind of project could be even bigger
than the Kde project itself! But as a linux, kde and game lover I would love to
see my wishes come alive!

Be free to comment/flame...

--

Joao Neto