List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts about network integration in KDE2, please read (was: Samba and NFS support)
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-12-03 17:15:05

On Fri, 03 Dec 1999, aleXXX wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 1999, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
>
> > > Wouldn't it be almost the greatest at all if we could have autocompletion for
> > > this ?
> >
> > There will be an autocompletion class for this exact case, i.e. performs
> > autcompletion of remote directories/files after KRASH.  Carsten has already
> > written two classes, KCompletion and KURLCompletion which inherits from it.
> > KURLCompletion performs exactly what you are saying here (at least I think do).
> > I have modified KLineEdit and added a KComboBox class to make use of these
> > feature.  Anyways, all of these will be added after KRASH upon consensus.
> AFAIK these classes will only autocomplete URL's you already entered once
> before. Am I wrong ?

Yes you are :)  Classes derived from KCompletion can override the
virtual makeCompletion() slot and implement their own completion schemes.
In fact, that is what KURLCompletion (not the one currently in kdelibs but the
one Carsten is working on) does.  It can autocomplete both local and remote
directories using KIOJob (using the directory listings).  But it will not be
until after KRASH especailly since there is now some debate/discussion on how
to make I/O as fast as possible ....

Regards,
Dawit A.