List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts about network integration in KDE2, please read (was:
From:       Jeff Stuart <jstuart () neo ! rr ! com>
Date:       1999-12-02 18:54:02

> On Thu, 02 Dec 1999, Nicolas Brodu wrote:
> > aleXXX wrote:
> > Hmmm, this whole 'local computer / network' thing was what I disliked most
> > about windows explorer when I had to use it. And it's not transparency
> > anymore, to my mind, since we precisely make the distinction. I think
> > the url approach is great, as it Uniform(ize?) the Ressources Locations,
> > and that's what we want.
Folks, this is one of the most important ideas that I've seen come through
this list since I've been on it.  For over 10 years, Sun has always been
saying "The network is the computer".  Microsoft has started to say this.  For
the FIRST time, I am starting to see the whole infrastructure coming into
place to allow "The network is the computer" to REALLY happen.  It doesn't
have to happen in the office, it has to happen in the home.  With the advent
of cheaper and cheaper broad band access to the Internet, AND IF WE DO IT
RIGHT, the advent of Linux/KDE2, that line of local/network goes away and for
the FIRST TIME we can truly become a global world.  The Internet has been
helping that dramatically and this will further that goal.

--
Jeff Stuart
jstuart@neo.rr.com