List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QWhatsThis - how to use it in dialogs now ?
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-12-02 14:56:50

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999, Greg Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 01 Dec 1999, Greg Lee wrote:
> > > Whats-this is nice, but it could work better:
> > >
> > > 	(1) when there's no whats-this help available and you
> > > 	    click in whats-this mode you get an ugly useless
> > > 	    tiny little square
> >
> > Wrong. If there's no help available, it does simply nothing. Do you have a
> > self-contained example program that shows this bug? What version of Qt?
> > If you are referring to KOffice, it may be a KAction problem, though.
>
> Example program: kdemultimedia/kmidi, open the configure window, click the
> About tab, click the whats-this button, click over any of the urls.
>
> Version of Qt: 2.1.0, snapshot of 1116.
>
> Since you don't know of the bug, and it is for sure there, maybe it happens
> because I get the whats-this cursor through enterWhatsThisMode(), instead
> of using the toolbar thing.

Nope, the bug is different (and in KMidi): KMidi creates a dedicated QWhatsThis
object for the main window instead of using the static functions. A dedicated
object for a certain widgets indicates, that help is available. In this case
this help for the main window is empty (the ugly square you are seeing).

> > > 	(3) if a widget has no whats-this help but it's on top
> > > 	    of a widget that does, it would be nice if the
> > > 	    background widget's help were shown
> >
> > That's exactly how it works in Qt....
>
> Nope.  Click in whats-this mode on kmidi's main info window -- the black
> background has whats-this info, but most of the labels scattered over
> it don't.  Click over a label and you get the ugly useless tiny little
> square.

That _is_ the background widget's help as specified by KMidi.

Anyway, I added a workaround in Qt. It now refuses to show empty squares even
if the program specifies that.

Matthias