List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts about network integration in KDE2, please read (was:Samba
From:       Nicolas Brodu <brodun () aston ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-12-02 14:28:49

aleXXX wrote:
> Please anybody explain me how samba-support should look in kde2.
> If it is only that you can only enter smb://some_host/some_share/a_file then it
> is almost not worth doing it.
> Nobody will use smbclient -Llocalhost to see which hosts exist and then enter
> smb://and_so_on for every host.

At present, you can enter smb:// to see the list of workgroups, then carry on
for the hosts, etc... You don't need any prioir knowledge about the host you
will visit.

But that's only for smb, I meant than nfs:// and other lan related things
should do something similar, and let the 'lan' slave gather and merge all
these results so that lan:// returns a list of all workgroups, and
lan://workgroup/host returns all exported shares, whether smb or nfs.
BTW, you can still make a workgroup containing all nfs-only servers, for
example, and you can still call one specific protocol if you want to use only
it.

Cheers,
Nicolas

--
Life is a sexually transmitted fatal disease. (W. Allen?)