List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts about network integration in KDE2, please read (was:
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-12-02 7:09:26

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Lars Kneschke wrote:

> aleXXX wrote:
> > Hmm, but is
> > ftp://host_1
> > smb://host_1
> > nfs://host_1
> > file://usr
> > more transparent than
> > net://host_1/FTP
> > net://host_1/Samba
> > net://host_1/NFS
> > file://usr ?
> >
> > In the first case the user has to know the resource is remote (otherwise he
> > would use file:) and he has to know which protocol.
> > In the second case he has to know it is remote (he usually knows this) and then
> > he can work with the different protocols as they were common directories.
> The first syntax is known by every body, who surfes the internet. The
> second will be kde-specific. Thats why i vote for the first one.

Besides, these are URIs (or was that called URNs?). There is a precise
standard definition of where the protocol is specified.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)