List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts about network integration in KDE2, please read (was: Samba
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-02 12:06:33

aleXXX wrote:

> As I was thinking about Samba and NFS-support for KDE 2, a LAN-ioslave, which
> transparently supports both and how to use the stuff from my kNetmon I was a
> little bit confused. In my app I store the information about workgroups, hosts,
> shares  and so on in a tree-like structure. Somehow I could not figure out,
> how to transform this into an ioslave correctly/logically. OTOH I was really
> sure that it can't be wrong to use internally a data-structure which
> fits the entities and their relationship in reality.
> Then I found it ! :)
> We want to have transparent network access in KDE, so we have to do it !
> In this case the KleinWeich explorer is not so bad with its tree structure for
> the LAN, I think you know what I mean. Wouldn't it be even *much* better to
> have something like this in konqy and every kde-file-dialog:
>
> +-local_host   //this part exists
> |   |
> |   +-bin/
> |   |
> |   +-etc/
> |   |
> |   +-usr
> |       |
> |       +-bin/
> |       |
> |       +-doc/
> |
> +-network   //this part is new
>     +-workgroup1
>     |    |
>     |    +-host1
>     |    |    |
>     |    |    +-Ports/
>     |    |    |
>     |    |    +-WWW/
>     |    |    |
>     |    |    +-FTP
>     |    |    |   |
>     |    |    |   +-bin/
>     |    |    |   |
>     |    |    |   +-pub/
>     |    |    |
>     |    |    +-NFS
>     |    |    |   |
>     |    |    |   +-public/
>     |    |    |   |
>     |    |    |   +-home/
>     |    |    |
>     |    |    +-Samba
>     |    |        |
>     |    |        +-pics/
>     |    |        |
>     |    |        +-mp3s/
>     |    |        |
>     |    |        +-other_stuff/
>     |    |
>     |    +-another_host/
>     |    |
>     |    +-yet_another_host/
>     +-another_group_of_hosts
>          +-http.microsoft.somewhere
>          |   |
>          |   +-Ports/
>          |   |
>          |   +-WWW/
>          |   |
>          |   +-Samba/
>          +-ftp.troll.no
>              +-Ports/
>              +-FTP/
>
> You could enter network://ftp.troll.no/FTP,  and you would access this host
> [...]

I don't think this is the way to go. We want to have URLs and not pseudo
commands :)

It surely would be nice if you could browse some kind of toplevel
without
entering ftp, but then you would have to create a list of all ftp
servers
in the net and that would be truely too much :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
When your memory goes, forget it!