List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts about network integration in KDE2, please read (was: Samba and NFS support)
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       1999-12-02 10:27:13

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999, Lars Kneschke wrote:
> aleXXX wrote:
> > You could enter network://ftp.troll.no/FTP,  and you would access this host
> > by ftp, you could enter network://host1/samba/mp3 to access this directory.
> > (we could avoide the groupname by looking up the host name in all groups).
> > Wouldn't it be almost the greatest at all if we could have autocompletion for
> > this ?
> Why do you want URL's like this: "network://ftp.troll.no/FTP". If i want
> ftp i can also type "ftp://ftp.troll.no". Thats much shorter and the way
> it works also on other systems.

Yes, of course this would still be possible.
But it is not browsing-like.
Imagine your local LAN, where do you know from that any of the hosts supports
ftp ?
With my suggestion you would open the host, and you see which services it
provides, enter the dir/service FTP and you have ftp.
And why divide so strongly between FTP, Samba, whatever ?
I don't see it from the protocol-view, I see it from the service-view. A
machine provides a service, so I want to see that it does and I want to use it.
We want transparency, so I don't think "I want something via FTP from the
ftp.kde.org", I would prefer "I want something from ftp.kde.org, let's see
which way I can get it." (Ok, if the machine name is ftp.*, it is clear that it
is ftp, but that is not the point).

Maybe _you_ know _exactly_ what is going on in the LAN you are
attached to. What if not ?
Where do you know it from ?
Where do you know from which machines are running ?
Where do you know from which services they provide for you ?

With this tree structure I mentioned you can simply browse through.
And that's the way everybody uses the network neighbourhood in KleinWeich and
this way I like. But the way I mentioned we can do even more.

I'm a student, and I think many other users of linux/KDE are student s too.
Many students are attached to private networks (see http://www.tui-net.de) and
there everybody runs the services he wants to.
So if somebody installed a FTP-server, where should I know from if he doesn't
tell me ?

At the moment I'm for one term (Semester) at a practical training (Praktikum)
at the DLR. Here I'm working from Solaris 2.6 with KDE. Before I got my kNetmon
to run I almost didn't know anything about the structure of the LAN, except the
stuff I have to work with.

Bye
Alex