List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QWhatsThis - how to use it in dialogs now ?
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-12-01 22:46:04

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999, Greg Lee wrote:
> Whats-this is nice, but it could work better:
>
> 	(1) when there's no whats-this help available and you
> 	    click in whats-this mode you get an ugly useless
> 	    tiny little square

Wrong. If there's no help available, it does simply nothing. Do you have a
self-contained example program that shows this bug? What version of Qt?
If you are referring to KOffice, it may be a KAction problem, though.

> 	(2) it's hard to get linebreaking right, since the
> 	    lines are split up partly independently of "<br>"s

Don't use <br>'s and let what's this do the layout for you. If you do not want
any linebreaks between certain words, use protected blanks (non-breakable
whitespace) instead. QStyleSheet will soon have a tag for that, until then,
simply use &nbsp; or the unicode character 0x00a0U

> 	(3) if a widget has no whats-this help but it's on top
> 	    of a widget that does, it would be nice if the
> 	    background widget's help were shown

That's exactly how it works in Qt....

> 	(4) the whats-this cursor should change when it's over
> 	    something with what-this help defined

That's indeed a good suggestion. Microsoft doesn't do it, mainly because simply
ALL widgets support it in standard-compliant windows applications. Until we are
there, a different cursor is a good idea.

Note that some widgets still work in what's this mode. You can still operate
menus, for example, and thus get help for certain menu items with it.

Matthias