List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QWhatsThis - how to use it in dialogs now ?
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-12-01 22:28:12

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if dep
> > what a *wonderful* section to add to the rmb menu. or, in cases where there is
> > no rmb menu, to make into a rmb menu. problem solved. no microsoft chasing. no
> > goofball cartoon question mark icon. perfect solution.
>
> Problem: The rmb menu you get on a QLineEdit is Qt's - we can't change it.

Sure we could. Qt is quite flexibily with these kind of things :-) However,
for a line-edit, why not simply press Shift-F1 (as all windows users would try
anyway)?

They know this accelerator, because it's usually included in the standard help
menu (What's This help Shift-F1 ). Come to think of it, we better put it there
as well...  I will do that.

Btw: I implemented the '?' button in kwin and the protocol in Qt (will show up
in tomorrows snapshots). I also proposed the protocol to the other WM authors.
The only feedback so far (it was just 10 minutes ago) is from Raster: he likes
it. That means, in the very worst case at least kwin and enlightment supports it
from the very beginning. But as somebody pointed out: it doesn't really matter
if the feature isn't available in the WM. The "poweruser" who runs KDE
applications under twm either won't use the help or will be able to type
Shift-F1.

Matthias