List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: requirements?
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       1999-11-28 20:10:53

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Don Sanders wrote:

|Dep I suspect you use a pop server. I turned the progress dialog off, it is
|just to damn annoying, so kmail is working it just isn't giving you any
|feedback. I'm working on downloading mail in the background.

i just reread this, and realize that i didn't state the problem very well. when
i click for new mail, the modem lights flash appropriately and in due course
they flash back an incoming message of very short duration, after which the
status line in kmail reports "No new mail available." what puzzles me is that
with the same kmailrc., kmail 1.0.28 does in fact get mail, which is what makes
me wonder about whether i've misconfigured something elsewhere. meanwhile, i
can browse with konqueror, no problem, and even receive mail with netscape if i
want, which i don't.

point is, with an external modem i don't really need the process dialog to see
if there's anything incoming -- and here, there isn't, and instead there's a
message that arrives telling me that there is no new mail, when in fact there
*is* new mail. while setting up fetchmail would be a workaround, part of the
purpose of the exercise of course is getting things cooking along in kmail. if
it's broken and is supposed to be, no big deal. but if it's broken and not
supposed to be, i'll happily do what anybody suggests to try to learn why,
which information i'll happily pass along.

--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.