List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail in kde2, was requirements
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-11-28 15:50:14

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, dep wrote:

> fwiw, i've been very impressed that it inherits an existing mail
> folder system perfectly, and even allows me to go back and forth
> between the kde2 version and 1.0.28, with nothing surprising
> experienced either place.

It has been awhile since I tested this, glad to hear it still works.

Nested folders aren't forward compatible. If you make a nested folder and then

Also the cached number of unread messages isn't forward compatible. So (if you
might get out of sync and show the wrong number of unread messages. You can
resync the number of unread messages by reading all unread messages and then
selecting next unread message in the message menu.

> when you consider that the biggest pc
> software company in the world cannot seem to achieve this kind of
> bidirectional compatability, it causes a broad grin.

It's a good idea to make a backup of your kmailrc file (with all your kmail
settings) regardless. The HEAD branch can be a dangerous place.

One more thing my sample start fetchmail script probably isn't appropriate, I
use the same pop account from multiple machines and keep a master copy of all
my mail on one machine. The fetchmail script I gave was what I use on my just
keep up to date on new mail machine.

Maybe something like this would be better for you (fetchmail has a good man
page anyway).

#!/bin/bash
fetchmail -d 100

BFN,