List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: requirements?
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-11-28 12:33:41

> there are some work-in-progress signs, but overall, it really is
> great; if i could get kppp to work and kmail to receive as well as
> send mail, i'd move over to it right now. it really is usable.
> interestingly, and i don't know if it's my fault or just the current
> state of the code, the logout kmenu item doesn't do anything i can
> find.

Dep I suspect you use a pop server. I turned the progress dialog off, it is
just to damn annoying, so kmail is working it just isn't giving you any
feedback. I'm working on downloading mail in the background.

If you wan't to use kmail now then use fetchmail. You won't regret it.

Install fetchmail. Create a .fetchmailrc file like the following (in your home
directory)

poll mail.company.com.au uidl proto POP3 user dsanders pass your-password

replace mail.company.com.au with your pop server, dsanders with your username
and your-password with your password.

Then start up fetchmail with a script like the following

#!/bin/bash
fetchmail -k -U -d 100

This checks for new mail every 100 seconds. It effectively gives you background
mail checking in kmail now.

BFN,
Don.