List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: requirements?
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       1999-11-27 22:46:17

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:

|You don't have
|/usr/include/net/if_ppp.h

i do now, the one from the kernel source -- we'll see if it works.

|Huh ? kpixmapeffect.h is in kdelibs. Do you have a recent kdelibs ?

yeah, yesterday's snapshot, which was the same date as everything
else.

|Is $KDEDIR/include in the compile line ?

yeah, it is.

|You need to remove libqt.so, as was said here.
|But the problem could be anything else, dunno.

i was given to understand that you do this only if you have two
versions of qt running, which i don't. the way i've been handling it
is this admittedly inelegant but simple way:

$QTDIR is /usr/lib/qt. it contains yesterday's snapshot of qt-2.1.
$KDEDIR is /opt/kde, which i specify with --prefix= at configure.

i have copies of kde-1.1.2 and the kde2 as built in backup
subdirectories in /usr/local, not on any path. when i switch from one
to the other, i simply su root and delete /opt/kde, then move
wichever version i want to run into /opt/kde. as it turns out (maybe
everybody knew this and i alone didn't), kde-1.1.2 will run just fine
if it's already compiled and the only qt on the system is 2.x.

all that having been said, i'm going to move back to kde2 now and,
with if_ppp.h now in existence, see if i can make kppp work; because
if i can do that and can get kmail in kde2 to receive mail, i plan on
staying with the kde2 snapshots henceforth, because i really do find
them far more stable than a lot of release software. i am just
floored by how good the thing is, how good it looks, how well it
runs, just everything about it. it really is going to be the best
desktop for any operating system on any architecture. i don't say
that lightly. it's great. and unless my eyes deceive me, there is
actual multithreading in kmail!

thanks for all your help -- and all your code!
--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.