List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: samba and NFS support (was: Re: from Corel: may we help?)
From:       Nicolas Brodu <brodun () aston ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-11-26 16:26:14

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > What I want to say, AFAIK for every ioslave there is an URL-prefix (ftp://,
> > file:// and so on), am I right ?
> > If I would go this way, (smb://, NFS:// or something like that) I would lose
> > transparency. Should I try to make something like LAN://some_host/someshare ?
>
> That would be nice. We can redirect file://some_host/someshare URL's to
> your ioslave as well then.

Clever. But then we need a way to distinguish between a local directory
named some_host and the network host. How does the last file:// vs file:/
thread ended??? Or maybe it's possible to do something more clever (// vs /
would not really be transparent).
I think personally keeping different ioslaves for each protocol is a good idea,
since it simplifies each independant code. Then if you want transparency, call
file:, and if you know what protocol you want, call it directly.

Nicolas
--
Life is a sexually transmitted fatal disease. (W.allen?)