List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ideas [?]
From:       "Mark Deneen [BU]" <deneen () bucknell ! edu>
Date:       1999-11-25 6:04:31

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Charles Samuels wrote:

> > You are also missing something crucial here.  KDE is NOT Linux specific.  It
> > runs on *BSD 's, Solaris, HP-UX, Unixware??, fill-in your favorite *nix
> > flavor here etc etc.  So how can you force standard Linux libraries/tools upon
> > these people ?
> I understand and agree; but face it, KDE is primarily Linux ( although I'm sure
> FreeBSD and such have a bunch of users).  The point is, all these systems are
> standardized (I think).  And we'd still be packaging source, of course.

Not everyone uses a GNU system; therefore not everyone needs gnu's c++
lib.  By your reasoning, we should be including glibc just in case any
libc5 person hasn't upgraded, and they might happen to want a thread safe
library.  Including non-essential libraries is ok (such as graphics
libs), but when you start messing with system libraries you are just
asking for trouble.

Just because Linux is the most popular system to run KDE on does not mean
we should cater to their problems.