List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP question
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-11-16 17:59:12

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> > workstations simultaneously with nfs shared homes. (The same problem once
> > existed with kfm)
>
> Do you know how xsm / X handle this?
>
> I implemented the DCOPSERVER environment variable support.

YOu may use $HOST:X.Y which is equivalent to $DISPLAY in order to gain a
unique identifier. IMHO it is not worth to share the single dcopserver for
both sessions because the application from one display do not want to
communicate with the application of other $DISPLAY.

Unfortunately I do not know how XFree86-4.0 handles these issues though.

In addition you should try to avoid to write into the $HOME of the user.
For several applications it is beneficial to mount $HOME ro. Maybe you can
use the X11 way of writing into /tmp (beware of exploits).

Regards,
 -- martin

// Martin Konold, Herrenbergerstr. 14, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
KDE:  A stable GUI for a reliable OS.