List:       kde-devel
Subject:    DCOP question
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       1999-11-13 12:03:30

Hi!

I'm trying to add DCOP authentication to kdesu and I have some questions:

1. When I do a "iceauth list", I see 4 entries. 2 ICE local/remote and 2
DCOP local/remote addresses. Which ones do I need to add  to the target
user's authority file?
(I cannot use ICEAUTHORITY=~/.ICEautority because that file will in
general not be readable by the target uid)

2. Can we introduce a new environment var named DCOPSERVER which contains
the address of the DCOP server? Just like DISPLAY. If no -dcopserver
argument is given, we first look in the var DCOPSERVER, then in .DCOPserver.
This would make it easier for me to implement because then I don't have
to parse the command line to add the -dcopserver argument. And it would
also prevent the need for another command line argument which would disable
adding this argument for non-KDE programs.
Besides easier to implement, it's also more symmetric:
ICEAUTHORITY/DCOPSERVER versus XAUTHORITY/DISPLAY.

Greetings,
 --
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>
    Phylosopher, Physicist                        PGP key ID: 0xD2B5E7CE