List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Name changes to X Applications?
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-06 17:26:50

Mosfet wrote:
> You are expecting your customers to restrict themselves to Corel-only
> mailing lists, documentation, IRC channels, and newsgroups? I don't even
> know how to start replying to that one...

You and I (and all other KDE users/developers) know that these users
*will* find their way to the general lists and channels and ask their
questions there... but I don't know that it will matter much.  Let's
face it, we already deal with slightly different setups with all of
the different distributions already.  Redhat, Caldera, SuSE, etc all
have their *slight* tweaks that make remote debugging pretty tricky.

Heck, how about compiling KDE HEAD right now?  All Debian users are
finding out that they have to follow a separate process then all other
distros (stupid byacc problem)... so we deal with it.

Corel users will come around with Yet Another list of slight
differences and we'll deal with that, too.

> As far as KDE 2.0 development, like I said - you missed the boat. It's
> feature set is complete by now and major changes introduced by Corel or
> any other author are likely to be rejected. This is what happens when
> you fail to coordinate with projects.

Well... if the change is Really Cool and Necessary, then I don't think
we'll be turning away any contributions.  But as you said, they did
miss the boat -- it remains to be seen if they can swim fast enough to
catch up now :-)
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth