List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kwmsound anyone?
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-11-06 3:24:50

kwmsound (in kdebase/kwmmodules/kwmsound) shouldn't be a kwm module any more.

Instead, it should be using dcop and be renamed to kdesounds. Don't know
whether it should still use KAudio or directly talk to aRts, though. (Part of
the job is to find that out ;-)

In addition, we should add a class to KDESounds to libkdecore. Actually, more a
namespace than a class, I guess.  It's probably sufficient to have a static
function in there:

     void play( const QString& );

Maybe also a version that takes an enum of the common events we have today:

    "Desktop1",
    "Desktop2",
    "Desktop3",
    "Desktop4",
    "Desktop5",
    "Desktop6",
    "Desktop7",
    "Desktop8",
    "Window Activate",
    "Window New",
    "Window Delete",
    "Startup",
    "Window Shade Up",
    "Window Shade Down",
    "Window Iconify",
    "Window DeIconify",
    "Window Maximize",
    "Window UnMaximize",
    "Window Sticky",
    "Window UnSticky",
    "Window Trans New",
    "Window Trans Delete",
    "Logout",
    "Logout Message",
    "Window Move Start",
    "Window Move End",
    "Window Resize Start",
    "Window Resize End"

However, that's up to the implementator.

play() should basically issue a dcop-send to KDESounds.

Anybody interested in implementing it? It's not much work, but maybe someone
was thinking "hmmm... I would like to do something but have no idea what. Maybe
something that teaches me DCOP... hmmm.... and multimedia" ? :-)

Most of the structure of kwmsound will remain, especially the kcmmodule doesn't
need to be changed muched (except that it should fire up kdesounds instead).

Matthias