List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re[2]: How does one successfully build the version of kde2 in cvs?
From:       Bob Bernstein <ruptured-duck () home ! com>
Date:       1999-11-05 6:48:30

kde2 from cvs builds quite nicely as of a couple of days ago. I recommend
David Sweet's developer FAQ for how to build any number of different versions
of the kde on the same box.

Do *nothing* as root. Create dirs in your home dir for both the cvs source and
your new $KDEDIR. Build the latest QT also under your home dir. I use a little
script to spawn a shell in which I do all the compiling; it sets the correct
values of $QTDIR, $KDEDIR, $PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

#!/bin/bash

QTDIR=~/KDE/KDE_HEAD/qt
KDEDIR=~/KDE/KDE_HEAD/kde
PATH="$KDEDIR/bin:$QTDIR/bin:$PATH"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib"
export QTDIR KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec /bin/sh

In keeping with the above I put the cvs source in, say, ~/KDE/CVS_HEAD.

A similar script can be used to launch your new kde2; just substitute 'startx'
(or whutever) for the last line. I'm sure there are many possible variations
on this, probably more elegant than mine. And remember that the code is in a
period of vigorous transition, so it may very well build ok, but not run
*completely* ok!

--
Bob Bernstein                http://members.home.net/ruptured-duck
at

"I think it's a bad treaty." Henry Kissinger in The Washington Post, 10/14/99.