List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdm security hole
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! cx>
Date:       1999-11-02 14:11:26

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 12:13:44PM +0000, Per Wigren wrote:
> user "root" is always known.. I think that is kind of a bigger security
> hole..

That's what sudo and su are for, together with
-:root:ALL:ALL
in /etc/login.access (on Slackware Linux, anyway, proceed with care because
                      root will NOT be able to login anymore at all)

Anyway, when someone has physical access to the machine, being able to guess
user names isn't a very big issue anymore. There are easier ways to get into
it (bootdisks etc).

Besides, knowing a few user names, is it really a big issue? If people send
mail from the machine, their user name will most likely be in From:, etc
etc. Nobody ever patched _that_ ;-)

Rob
--
Rob Kaper | mail: cap@capsi.com + cap@capsi.cx