List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: remote tar.gz in kfm (was Re: your mail)
From:       Calvin Ostrum <cbo () interlog ! com>
Date:       1999-11-01 11:20:25

On Mon, 01 Nov 1999, Matthias Ettrich wrote:

| After the 1.1 release of KDE, kpanel was maintained by Pietro, not by me.
| Nevertheless the size isn't his fault.  A lot of things play a role there,
| including wrong compiler options. I also doubt you interpreted the ps output
| correctly (Iin KDE-2.x, the amount of shared code increased dramatically due to
| a bunch of new libraries including a full-featured CORBA ORB. Appearantly you
| count all this to be kpanel's own memory).

No, I called it "size" because that's the official name of the
statistic.  I agree it's difficult to interpret these statistics
in the presence of massive sharing of code; that's well known.
It could still be quite a difference, even when the "responsibility"
for it is shared amongst all the processes using it.  (And the
SIZE - SHARE was still fully twice as large as the old kpanel).

| Anyway, keep in mind that you run "experimental" rpms.

Yes, I hope and suspect that is a big factor.

| Run KDE 2.0
| once it is finished and judge from that.

Of course, I will.  But I am wanting to be able to hope now that
it won't get any bigger.  It's not unreasonable to be worried
about this, given a few things that have been brought up,
such as the issue of the use of exceptions, and especially
given the very well known general principle, a form of
Parkinsons's law, that says this sort of growth happens for
virtually all computer software.

Calvin Ostrum                                              cbo@interlog.com
People make their own history, but they do not make it just as they please;
they do not make it under circumstances chosen by themselves, but under
circumstances directly encountered, given and transmitted from the past.
        -- Karl Marx, "The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte"