On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 01:52:52PM -0500, Ian Zepp wrote: > > > On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Balog Jozsef wrote: > > > Dear KDE'ers > > > > I have a question that I didn't find in manulas of KFM. Maybe it is just an option that i just didn't realise yet. > > When I am browsing on the net, there are certain links that just won't "link". Like click here to download this file and if I click there KFM just stops and won't do anything. Later on I found out that the files that I can't download with KFM , don't work with Netscape either. With Netscape it starts to download but the file is not downloaded to my hd but I see the same picture on my monitor as if I opened a binary file with a text editor. I found the same mistake on windows version of netscape too. > > > > I have noticed; is a bug or feature: > > when clicked .tar or .tar.gz files, kfm tries to download the entire file > from the net (note: with no progress dialog) before then displaying the > contents of the file. This rather makes sense, if you ever looked at how tar file are laid out... (see below) > Of course, we are not yet allowed to copy to and > from tarred archived, so what's a guy to do? Not allowed to copy to and from ?? What's the relation ? And IIRC, you can copy FROM a tar file. Just drag and drop a file out of it. > I suggest the default behavior be some different please.. Do you suggest to partially read a tar file from a remove host ? No offense intended, but this is nonsense. There is no "index" in a tar file, you see. The files are put one after the other. PS : Please report kfm bugs to submit@bugs.kde.org or to kfm-devel@kde.org > Regards > > Ian > > > What is the problem? > > > > Thanks in advance, and sorry for the off -topic. Maybe someone could help me > > > > Kind regards > > > > Balog Jozsef. > > > -- David FAURE david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org http://home.clara.net/faure/ KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today