List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kash Kontinued.
From:       "Michael J. Bedy" <mjbedy () mtu ! edu>
Date:       1999-10-31 5:53:09

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> Kash is likely to be a single-user application.  For this, it simply
> doesn't make sense to use a heavyweight database or database interface.  A
> simple database like db (which comes with glibc) or even gdbm (if you are
> writing a GPL program) is perfectly suitable.  There are plenty of other
> small, lightweight databases as well.  DB is used to maintain the entire
> RPM database on a running system, which I would consider a "medium-weight"
> database.  It is more than capable for the task.

   The only thing I'm worried about is that a small database such as that
will hamper password protection, etc. But I guess we can worry about that
later.

> I propose the following to all you people interested in working on Kash.
> Make something simple that works in a month.  Seriously, it isn't too hard
> a task.  Use a lightweight database, the GNU Multiprecision library to
> represent the large numbers, and a Qt ListView + a few other widgets to do
> check book entry.  It won't be that hard, and it will be a starting place
> to begin adding some real functionality.

  I've been thinking about this, and I think you might be right. Doing
full planning would require a couple of full time people working on it.
Most of us (me included) don't really have that kind of time to devote to
it. Maybe that's one of the reasons that such projects often fail in the
open source environment.

> I firmly believe that the sooner you have something that is interesting
> and working, both you and potential third parties will be motivated to
> continue working on the project.  Here's a reference to the GMP library
> for those who are interested:

  Last question: I thought the GPL status of GDBM disallowed it for work
in programs that link QT? Or did I mistake the issue?

   - Mike