List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kash Kontinued.
From:       "Michael J. Bedy" <mjbedy () mtu ! edu>
Date:       1999-10-30 22:10:34

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Michael J. Bedy wrote:
> > I wish that the new KDE communication system could be documented
> > (HINT!) so that we could begin to consider what is necessary.
>
> What do you mean by "KDE communication system"?  Are you referring to
> DCOP?  If so, DCOP is incredibly easy to use.  The HOWTO in
> kdelibs/dcop should be enough to get started (really.. it's very
> simple).

  Yeah, I just found that.

  The question I do have though is this: How do you start a server that
isn't already running. For instance if we were to make the database
portion a seperate "chunk" and the GUI needed to load it up, how would you
do that?

> > Once we have a list of features, we can get to work designing
> > everything. I don't think this is a project that would apply well to
> > a 'hack it up' method of development. The more I thought about it
> > this summer, the more I realized that it was a much bigger
> > undertaking than I had thought at the start.
>
> I think I'm going to follow this project pretty closely.  If you
> succeed as you just outlined, then you will be the FIRST non-trivial
> Open Source project ever done that actually followed a consistent
> well-defined software engineering process.  Every other big project
> (including Linux, KDE, Apache, and all of the other "stars" of Open
> Source) fall under the get-some-code-out-and-hack-on-it model.

   Well, the GUI, reports and other stuff parts of the project could be
a "get-some-code-out-and-hack-on-it model," but the database should be
carefully designed to safe-guard the users data. I would prefer that we
followed a software engineering process for the whole thing, but I know
better then to expect something like that to happen easily :-)

> > Department of Computer Science,
> > Michigan Technological University.
>
> Hey, that's where I graduated from.  Cool to see more tech 'toots
> getting involved

  You didn't think we didn't notice, did you?

.