List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kash Kontinued.
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-30 21:44:55

Michael J. Bedy wrote:
> I wish that the new KDE communication system could be documented
> (HINT!) so that we could begin to consider what is necessary.

What do you mean by "KDE communication system"?  Are you referring to
DCOP?  If so, DCOP is incredibly easy to use.  The HOWTO in
kdelibs/dcop should be enough to get started (really.. it's very
simple).

> I think following good software engineering practices ( since I'm in a
> software engineering class :-) ) would be a good idea here.
[snip]
> Once we have a list of features, we can get to work designing
> everything. I don't think this is a project that would apply well to
> a 'hack it up' method of development. The more I thought about it
> this summer, the more I realized that it was a much bigger
> undertaking than I had thought at the start.

I think I'm going to follow this project pretty closely.  If you
succeed as you just outlined, then you will be the FIRST non-trivial
Open Source project ever done that actually followed a consistent
well-defined software engineering process.  Every other big project
(including Linux, KDE, Apache, and all of the other "stars" of Open
Source) fall under the get-some-code-out-and-hack-on-it model.

Hehe.. this should be good.

> Department of Computer Science,
> Michigan Technological University.

Hey, that's where I graduated from.  Cool to see more tech 'toots
getting involved.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth