List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: KDE and gcc 2.7.2 : qaction and kconfig are showstoppers
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () CRAMER ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-10-25 10:11:14

> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > Somebody wondered, I don't remember who, whether KDE would
> > now compile with gcc 2.7.2 again.
> >
> > Qt CVS does now (thanks Reggie !), but kdelibs doesn't at all.
> >
> > 0 - gcc 2.7.2 doesn't have -Wno-long-long, ok, using my own
> CXXFLAGS now.
> egcs 1.0 doesn't as well :)
> I was too lazy to implement a test so far, but I will add one.
ok
BTW, does egcs 1.0 compile KDE ?

> > 1 - qaction complains about comparing structs
> >
> > /home/david/kde/qt-public-cvs/include/qvaluelist.h: In method `bool
> > QValueList<QAction::Container
> > >::operator ==(const class QValueList<QAction::Container> &) const':
> > In file included from qaction.cpp:1:
> > /home/david/kde/qt-public-cvs/include/qvaluelist.h:333: no match for
> > `operator ==(struct QAction:
> > :Container, struct QAction::Container)'
> Hmm, if Qt CVS compiles, qaction should compile too, not?
No, because qaction (and qdom which has problems has well) are NOT part
of Qt's Makefiles.

> > 2 - kconfig triggers an internal error (!)
> >
> > /home/david/kde/qt-public-cvs/bin/moc ./kconfig.h -o kconfig.moc
> > g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../kdecore/qk -I../dcop
> -I../kdecore
> > -I../kdeui -I/home/david/
> > kde/qt-public-cvs/include -I/home/david/usr/include/
> > -I/home/david/usr/include     -O2 -Wall -ped
> > antic -W -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -s -c
> > kconfig.cpp
> > kconfig.h: In method `bool KConfig::hasGroup(const class QString &)
const':
`bug-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu'.
> > make: *** [kconfig.o] Error 1
> >
> > and since a lot of files include kconfig.h, I can't test any further...
> >
> > The kconfig line is a bit strange though :
> > KEntryKey groupKey = { _pGroup, "" };
> >
> > I might hack this back to two lines (as well as kconfig.cpp which has
> > similar constructs),
> > if Torben can fix qaction :)
> >
> > But you might say that using gcc 2.7.2 is stupid anyway and then I'll
> > drop this. (However, since Qt is supposed to compile with gcc 2.7.2,
> > I think qaction has to be fixed anyway).
> >
> If it can be compiled with gcc 2.7 it would be fine. But I don't see
> this as goal. Remember khtml is using exceptions and namespace...
Ouch, true.

Ok then, I won't commit my kconfig fix. Useless if it's not possible
to fix all of kde.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer