List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Kicker applets (w/tiny screenshot attached)
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1999-10-20 3:35:16

Wanted to at least start to get something visual out to the rest of you here
to show you what I've got on the go.  As I'd mentioned before, I've started
work on some Kicker applets, and attached to this msg you'll find a tiny
screenshot of the two that I'm almost ready to bring into CVS; the clock and
the cpu meter.  Neither one of these applets has tons of functionality, and
that's partially been my goal when building them; something small, something
functional, but not something that'd be considered big enough to actually be
an actual application.  I'll apoligize here for having sent an image out to
the list, but considering that it's only 5k in size I figured that its at
least small enough that I won't hear the "my god that screenshots huge!"
flames coming back at me.

The clock that you'll see in the screenshot here is using the "Freeamp" theme
from "asclock".  I've built the clock so that it (for the most part) uses
asclock themes; I whacked together a quick Perl script to convert their
"config" files into something that could easily be read in using KConfig, and
left it at that for now (it worked, and that let me get onto other things).
For those of you that want to see more asclock themes to get an idea as to how
it _could_ look, have a gander over at http://www.asclock.org/themes.shtml for
more of them.  Only quirk that I've run into (ok, maybe its not a quirk) is
that some of the themes are too big for display in Kicker.  But, on the
flip-side, if the clock applet can be started up as its own application, it
will show the full sized 'Antique' and 'Brass' themes as well.

The CPU meter shown is just a little quickie; three bars: CPU, memory, swap.
As you can see, I took the screenshot while doing a KDE build, so the cpu
meters pegged.  As for options, all its got at this point is "which of the
three meters do you want displayed".  Works on Linux, but after the flurry of
e-mails that I've seen go around in the last few days, I'm going to try to
incorporate some other sources that I was pointed towards that'd help make it
a bit more portable.

That's about it for the moment.  Still have some 'unfinished's which I've
marked in the source that I've got to clean up, and will then have something
ready to send out to you all for the CVS.

--
Graham TerMarsch

// Today is the first day of the rest of the mess.
["kicker.jpg" (image/jpeg)]