List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: big *thank you* for the latest developments
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1999-10-19 20:08:15

Harri Porten wrote:
> Graham TerMarsch wrote:
> > I'd agree, that if you're running a dozen applets in your panel, then you're
> > not going to find a whole heck of a lot of ways to cut down on the memory
> > usage.  Note, though, that in what I'm proposing to do as applets I'm not
> > planning on having something big enough or with enough features to actually
> > warrant being an actual application.  My own goal is to just have something
> > fairly small and simple, with minimal functionality, that just does one small
> > thing.  I'm hoping that by not loading it up with functionality and features
> > that I'll at least help cut down on some of the memory footprint of these
> > things.
>
> The thing is: it's not the functionality you put in that is responsible
> for the bloat, it's that overhead. Have you looked at the memory
> consumption of {K|Q}Application ?

Yes, and it's quite sizable.  When running each applet here, they show up as
about 6.5MB of memory usage, with just over 5MB of that being shared.  Isn't
great, but I'm sure we can come up with something here (like you outlined
below).

> > As for the application/shared library discussion, I'm gathering that there are
> > pros and cons on either side of the discussion here.  Personally, I haven't
> > yet been able to get a kicker applet to run outside of kicker (if its not
> > running), but I'll also note that my build is about a week and a half old.
> > This is what left me with the impression that they were applets were only able
> > to run under kicker.
>
> Personaly I would favor the approach Roberto proposed: make them shared
> libs but provide a framework app that allows running them standalone.
> But: Since kicker and its applets are quite young I don't want to get on
> Matthias or Mosfets nerves in such an early stage ;) Let's see how this
> whole thing develops first and think about such optimizations later.

Agreed, I don't want to bash heads here on anything, I think that what was
done with Kicker is totally skookum!  My only gripe that I ever had with the
old kpanel was not being able to swallow apps of different sizes into it.
Kicker relieved me of that limitation, and after having built the first applet
in about 100 lines of code I was totally impressed with how easy Matthias had
made things to begin with.  I'll second your motion here, to more or less
continue marching on down the path we're moving with, and build in
optimizations as we need them, rather than flaming anyone out here.  I'm
impressed and hooked on Kicker, so don't take anything I've said here as "you
naughtly little boy" (unless you really get off on that sort of stuff).  :)

--
Graham TerMarsch

// In my end is my beginning.   -- Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots