List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: big *thank you* for the latest developments
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-10-19 18:18:49

Graham TerMarsch wrote:

> I'd agree, that if you're running a dozen applets in your panel, then you're
> not going to find a whole heck of a lot of ways to cut down on the memory
> usage.  Note, though, that in what I'm proposing to do as applets I'm not
> planning on having something big enough or with enough features to actually
> warrant being an actual application.  My own goal is to just have something
> fairly small and simple, with minimal functionality, that just does one small
> thing.  I'm hoping that by not loading it up with functionality and features
> that I'll at least help cut down on some of the memory footprint of these
> things.

The thing is: it's not the functionality you put in that is responsible
for the bloat, it's that overhead. Have you looked at the memory
consumption of {K|Q}Application ?

> As for the application/shared library discussion, I'm gathering that there are
> pros and cons on either side of the discussion here.  Personally, I haven't
> yet been able to get a kicker applet to run outside of kicker (if its not
> running), but I'll also note that my build is about a week and a half old.
> This is what left me with the impression that they were applets were only able
> to run under kicker.

Personaly I would favor the approach Roberto proposed: make them shared
libs but provide a framework app that allows running them standalone.
But: Since kicker and its applets are quite young I don't want to get on
Matthias or Mosfets nerves in such an early stage ;) Let's see how this
whole thing develops first and think about such optimizations later.

Harri.