List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: big *thank you* for the latest developments
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-10-19 12:06:44

Martin Konold wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Mosfet wrote:
>
> > None if you don't run them ;-) They are applets, you can always choose not to
> > run them.
>
> The problem imho arises as soon as standard kpanel/kicker functionality
> gets shifted towards applets instead of beeing integrated. If we are not
> careful this will add enourmeous bloat due to the fact that every
> instance really uses up a lot of memory.

Yes, Matthias and I discussed this about the taskbar, date applet, and
pager. I want them to be able to be replaceable with different applets
or left out entirely (ie: I like a buttonbox and not a taskbar), but
Matthias made the good point that if they are external applets you would
be starting 4 processes instead of 1 for the same functionality of
KPanel.

The comprimise we came up with is those "internal" applets will be
handled as plugins, not as separate processes. Thus users can install
replacements yet still not have the overhead of a new process. All other
non-default applets will of course still be separate processes. For
people writing clocks, etc... that can be installed either way I'll
provide a autoconf setup and main.cpp that allows their app to be
configured by the user to run both as a plugin or as a standalone
application.

mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com