List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 1.1.2 and language support problem
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       1999-10-19 9:18:08

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Robert Hagemann wrote:
> >
> > Hi Carlo and all other,
> >
> > <cite>
> > I realize that the second and third selectors are fallbacks in case the
> > first
> > isn't available. Here is a more graphic description of what I have found...
> >
> > Scenario 1:
> > Choice 1. US English
> > Choice 2. UK English          Color displayed as Colour
> > Choice 3. US English
> >
> > Scenario 2:
> > Choice 1. US English
> > Choice 2. US English          Color displayed as Colour
> > Choice 3. UK English
> >
> > Scenario 3:
> > Choice 1. US English
> > Choice 2. US English          Color displayed as Color
> > Choice 3. US English
> >
> > So why, if choice 1 is set to US English for scenarios 1 and 2, does it
> > still
> > display the UK spelling for color whereas the only way to get the US
> > spelling
> > for color, you must select US English for all three choices?
> > </cite>
> >
> > Just a shot into the dark:
> > Maybe your US English dict has no entry for "color", then the word isn't
> > translated at all and "color" is from
> > the source code. Otherwise in UK English there is found "colour" and it is
> > used no matter which ranking it
> > is given, because it's the only translation.
> >
> You're really fishing in the dark here :)
> The fact is that there is no dictionary for US english. It's the
> default! :)

The problem is more in kcmlocale. If you select US english as a language in
there, the system starts to search for a dictionary for it (instead of mapping
US-English to C), which it doesn't find. Selecting for example us-english as
first and german as second language will give you only german (since the german
translation is almost complete...)

Cheers,
Lars