List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: big *thank you* for the latest developments
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1999-10-18 17:30:14

Mosfet wrote:
> Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > You know yourself. Thank you very much for the excellent shape of the
> > latest developments in KDE.
> >
> > Kicker, canossa/koffice, konqueror (and the new html widget) are widely
> > impressive.
>
> Thanks :) I agree, people are doing a really good job. DCop and Canossa are
> really helping with efficency. As for kicker, I'll work on anything now as
> long as it doesn't involve a QImage or KPixmapEffect ;-)

Thought that I'd just throw my 2 cents in here on this and at least let the
rest of you know that I'm currently in the middle of making a bunch of Kicker
applets.  Have the "guts" already for a CPU meter as well as a nicer clock,
but don't have them yet in a state where they're ready for widespread use (but
give me another week or so and I should have them wrapped up).  I'd already
mentioned these to Matthias so he's aware of them, but thought I'd post to let
the rest of you all know so we don't end up duplicating each others work.

FWIW, I'm doing the clock applet so that it'll be able to use the themes from
"asclock" which comes as part of Gnome.  Haven't yet decided whether I'm going
to set it up to read their theme 'config' files directly or whether I'll have
a quickie little conversion script which'll turn the config file into
something I can read in with KConfig.  At this point the conversion script
looks like less work as then I don't have to build a config file parser.

As for the CPU meter, right now I've got it running using some of the source
from KTop to get the cpu load, memory usage, and swap usage.  Would like to
use something much more portable, though, as right now I gather that this only
works on a limited number of platforms.  Have looked at a few possibilities
(libgtop, xosview, etc), but wanted to find out if anyone out here could
suggest a good starting point that has already been looked into rather than me
going out and researching all of this all over again.

On my "list of cool kapplets", I've also been thinking of:
- lm_sensors module
- updated desktop pager
- sound mixer

I know that some of this has already been done in various other packages that
do docking into KPanel, and in those cases would rather just see if theres
some way to convert the existing source to use KApplet instead.  If anyones
got other suggestions on applets that'd be nifty and nice to have, do let me
know as so far these don't seem to suck up too many spare cycles.  More to
come in the next few days as I get things to the point where I can put up some
screenshots and sample source for you all to have a gander at.

--
Graham TerMarsch

// You will triumph over your enemy.