List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Q: The dimension of UNICODE awareness
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-13 23:21:40

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 01:15:48AM +0000, Mirko Sucker wrote:
> Hello all,
> I wonder how far we support Unicode in future. Do I have to be aware that
> filenames and pathes could be handled over in Unicode?
I think so. I've seen Korean filenames including non-ascii letters.
We need to model all filenames and paths using QString.

But I don't know about URLs - the non-ascii chars are encoded, so
is "const char * url" ok ? We have quite a bit of those...

> Does anybody know something about Unix interna regarding this?
Unix internals use the locale setting, no ? Don't know how
that copes with more than 256 values though... It
probably doesn't.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org