List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KProcess
From:       Philippe Fremy <pfremy () chez ! com>
Date:       1999-10-11 10:40:45

Hi folks,

I encountered a problem, working with KProcess and I don't know if it's
really a bug or if it has been fixed. It was with kde 1.1 (quite old, yes).

The problem was that KProcess was running its program argument (its first
argument) with shell alias substituion. It occured in kdiff: Kdiff is
expecting the KProcess running the diff program to produce ed-like diff
output and I had an alias diff='diff -u' to have unidiff output by default. But then, \
KProcess was producing unidiff output, confusing kdiff.

The turnaround I found was to set the program to '\diff' instead of 'diff'.
The compiler is complaining about unkown character '\d' but it works.
'\\diff' did not work, diff wasn't found with this syntax.

I wonder if someone else had the problem or if it has been fixed in the new
KDE/KProcess versions.

	Philippe